Job Position : GBI/GIS Analyst II
Company Name : City of Plano
Company Location : Plano, TX
Apply Online at: https://careers.plano.gov/psc/CAREERS/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U
Job ID : 220215
Location : Technology Services
Full/Part Time : Full-Time
Regular/Temporary : Regular
Minimum Annual Salary Range : $74,746.46
Summary of Duties: Under general supervision, works with business partners within one or more business processes to align geospatial technology solutions with business strategies. Conducts geographical research and analysis, and prepares GIS programs and applications. Supports one or more moderately complex business processes. Serves as team member.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Establishes and maintains liaison relationship with business partners and TS in order to provide effective technical solutions; seeks opportunities to improve and deepen relationship between TS and business partners.
- Evaluates, implements, customizes, deploys, and maintains third-party GIS applications for enterprise use.
- Conducts complex geospatial analyses using ArcGIS software and its extensions.
- Employs Python and ModelBuilder to build data models and scripts to automate complex, repetitive geoprocessing tasks and facilitate data transfer.
- Documents current business processes and models.
- Develops user test cases and validates test results during testing; executes test cases; may investigate, resolve, and escalate problems and develop recommendations for resolution; informs clients of problems, issues, and resolutions; ensures geospatial solutions meet client needs.
- Provides assistance in determining the need for a change request; may implement changes.
- Coaches and transfers knowledge to less experienced team members; may provide coaching and training to other City staff regarding the use of GIS applications and software, data security and data management.
- Conducts research on hardware and software products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Works with internal and external customers and TS partners to gather and validate requirements.
- Develops and analyzes business intelligence needs.
- Develops and writes business requirements for the design of geospatial solutions.
- Interprets business requirements and determines optimum BI solutions to meet needs.
- Determines and analyzes commonly used queries and reports.
- Creates organization-wide visualization, complex maps and custom reports for special projects and GIS applications.
- Researches business problems and creates models that help analyze these problems.
- May perform geospatial analysis for a wide range of requests using data in different formats and from various sources; geocodes and converts these data to GIS format as needed.
- May develop best practices for GIS solutions deployment.
- Verifies the collected data is within required quality standards; performs data editing and quality control review of GIS layers.
- Maintains the quality of metadata repository/data dictionary by adding, modifying, and deleting data. Provides input to the development of information quality metrics; may ensure quality metrics are documented and tracked.
- Develops complex meaningful dashboards and reports for more than one business area.
- Develops visualizations that tell an effectively data story to key business decision makers.
- Fields incoming issues and problem tickets from end-users to resolve application and software issues within servers, geodatabases, and other GIS-related mission-critical application systems.
- Records, tracks, and documents the problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Assists in maintaining and enhancing performance of all new and existing GIS software and applications across the organization.
- Tests fixes and performs post-resolution follow-ups to ensure problems have been adequately been resolved.
- Identifies and learns appropriate software applications used and supported by the organization.
- Creates and maintains ArcGIS Server web services consumed by various GIS applications.
- Creates and maintains system models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to team.
- Participates in the design, development, and delivery of GIS software applications training programs and individual classes.
- Designs, deploys and troubleshoots GIS web applications.
- Posts software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked question resources on company intranet to assist in problem resolution.
- Performs preventive maintenance of desktop and enterprise GIS software and applications, including the installation of service packs, patches, hot fixes, anti-virus software, etc.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: Responds to problem statements and questions from internal and external business partners by preparing programs and applications that define data geographically and statistically. Interprets results of spatial analyses and studies, identifies trends, and highlights patterns. Determines technical needs of end-users and provides appropriate guidance.
Knowledge of: Spatial analysis, statistical and geographic analytical techniques; GIS concepts and applications primarily using Esri software solutions; GIS programming language; advance knowledge of enterprise geodatabases.
Skill in: Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing, demonstrating proficient analytical ability using Esri products, applying programming languages to GIS tasks, managing and prioritizing multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Remote Sensing, computer science or related field, with substantive coursework in geospatial analysis and modeling.
Experience: Six (6) years of experience as a Business Intelligence/GIS Analyst or related field. Proven experience using Esri ArcGIS products. Bachelor’s Degree can be substituted for up to four (4) years of experience.
Any work-related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Licenses and Certifications: Texas Class C driver’s license may be required.
Esri ArcGIS Desktop Associate or Enterprise Administration Associate
GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) GIS Professional Certification
CompTIA Security+ or MTA Security
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check if license required, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
This is primarily an office classification although standing in work areas and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and that may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.