Manages the GIS/Mapping Section of the Engineering Department and is under the general supervision of the City Engineer, who evaluates work based on results achieved. The purpose of this position is to supervise skilled technical and professional work in the design, development, and maintenance of Geographic Information Systems data and mapping applications. Coordinates and implements work in support of departmental objectives. Performs related work as directed.
Essential Job Functions:
The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional functions related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
- Directs the operation of the geographic technology section and oversees the electronic distribution of all newly created or revised official City maps
- Directs the section’s Global Positioning System (GPS) survey/mapping work and data processing
- Directs the section’s Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) drawing work (plans, layout and details) and ensures projects are in accordance with local municipality standards
- Coordinates the use of GIS data and software with other City departments
- Coordinates the purchase of GIS software; maintains software licenses
- Plans and organizes GIS software training: provides support and training to assist system users in new and existing GIS applications
- Develops, implements and manages GIS data and organizational structure/database environment
- Manages and implements map services for internet and intranet applications; including ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, and Google Earth
- Coordinates with City departments in the development of GIS and associated software to produce, display, and analyze geographic information
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation and efficiency
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects as they relate to GIS applications; coordinates GIS activities between the City and external agencies
- Interprets complex information from applications to GIS files, e.g., Asbuilts, survey drawings, site development plans, subdivision plans, plats
- Performs related duties as assigned
- Corrects or clarifies address problems with citizens.
- Creates maps upon request, digitally and on paper; publishes GIS data and maps online.
- Creates and inputs data into GIS databases using techniques such as on-screen digitizing, coordinated geometry, keyboard entry of tabular data, scanning or automatic conversion to vectors, data collected in the field or conversion to other sources of digital data.
- Assigns addresses to new subdivisions and construction.
- Researches issues related to zoning, platting, comprehensive plans, annexation and population projections.
- Locates property and easement deeds.
- Develops code and software methodologies to automate complex GIS procedures.
- Conducts GPS surveys and stakeouts.
- Drafts construction plans and as-builts.
- Educates the Community and City staff on the benefits of GIS and related technologies through development of presentations.
- Travels off site to present training or to attend meetings, conferences, and training.
- Provides advanced technical support to support staff; mentors staff in resolving GIS and AutoCAD application issues.
- Identifies property from Metes and Bounds descriptions.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Unavoidable Hazards (Work Environment):
Unavoidable hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
Involves routine and frequent exposure to traffic; moving machinery.
Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Computer Science, Surveying or related field; supplemented by four (4) years progressively responsible technical experience in GIS applications; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Special Certifications and Licenses:
Requires the incumbent to hold current valid class “C” driver’s license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record. Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; knowledge of business English and spelling
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of GIS database development, management and maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of GIS concepts of presentation graphics; knowledge of digitizing techniques
- Thorough knowledge of standard cartographic survey procedures
- Thorough knowledge of GIS workstation hardware, software, and operations
- Thorough knowledge of GPS hardware and software (i.e., Trimble, Leica, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of CADD workstation hardware, software, and operations
- Thorough knowledge of Drafting standards and practices
- Programming skills are preferred (Java, .Net, Python, VB)
- Skill in the conversion of spatial data into digitized formats utilizing current GIS technologies
- Skill in researching, compiling, and summarizing statistical data and information materials
- Skill in the manipulation and management of relational and non-relational database(s)
- Ability to research and interpret land record data, legal descriptions, ground, and underground infrastructure data, aerial imagery and related GIS renderings
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and communications with project consultants, private contractors, City employees, and the general public
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities, meet established deadlines, and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction